I am writing on behalf of the 2229 Civilian Committee to wish you a happy New Year and also to give you something to think about. The question is:
‘Would you, or anyone you know, be interested in joining the Committee?’
We are very lucky to have a strong committee but a couple of members left last year and this year Mick Severn and I intend to step down. This means that the Committee will struggle to cope without new members.
We know that the committee thing is not for everyone and that those parents that want to join will come forward, so if you’ve thought about it, now would be a good time to do so. Alternatively, if you know anyone from outside Cadets who might be interested in joining, maybe you could ask them. It might be someone who:
• has recently retired or left the forces and is looking to do something useful.
• is unemployed and looking for experience to add to their CV.
• works for a local employer and is looking to improve their promotion prospects by demonstrating skills outside of work.
• just wants to get out and about to a variety of events and social activities and is happy to muck in.
Obviously, their motives have to be genuine and honourable. We’d like to meet them first and if they want to join then DBS checks and Disclosure would apply.
Briefly, our role is to:
• support the Commanding Officer in the running of the Squadron.
• raise funds in order to enable and enhance the range of activities that are available to our Cadets.
• oversee and ensure the welfare of all our Cadets.
• meet once a month (and the Annual General Meeting) and attend some Squadron and fundraising events.
So if you, or anyone you know, are interested please look at the 2229 Squadron website to see what we do and give us a ring at the Squadron on 01509 235535. You/they can leave a message and one of the Committee will get in touch.
Civilian Committee Chairman